International Noise Awareness Day is a global campaign, developed and organized in 1995 by the Center for Hearing and Communication (CHC), aiming to raise awareness of the effects of noise on the well-being and health of people.
Every year the event involves schools and institutions in many countries around the world and various National Acoustic Societies, supported by the EAA and the Eurocities network.
The International Noise Awareness Day is an opportunity to make pupils and children aware of the problems related to excessive exposure to noise and to educate them to listen to sounds and soundscapes.
Schools are invited to organize events and initiatives, involving students and citizens, to take part in various actions on this occasion:
– to measure and to evaluate noise in the different spaces inside and outside school buildings;
– to design solutions for noise mitigation and improving the acoustic climate;
– to describe the soundscapes of the school and/or school gardens;
– to write or to design noise advertising campaigns;
– to know, to define and to observe a “quiet diet”;
– to observe a minute of silence;
– to create links between schools in different cities and countries for sharing educational experiences on acoustics.
The INAD-ITALIA working group of the Acoustical Society of Italy (AIA) every year organizes the following activities:
– definition of the theme of the day according to the international claim launched annually by the Centre for Hearing and Communication;
– production of the advertising poster of the event;
– communication campaign of the event;
– coordination of the activities of the Italian schools participating in the initiative;
– production and distribution of didactic/informative materials;
– coordination of the national competition aimed to present ideas for raising awareness on various problems related to noise;
– organization of educational moments, projects and laboratories for the production of the materials for the competition;
– celebration of the event on April in all Italian schools involved in INAD Italia, thanks to the voluntary help of acoustic experts;
– coordination of the activities with the other Acoustics Institutions and schools around the world joining the event.
The 25th edition of “International Noise Awareness Day” will be celebrated on 29 April 2020 in Italian schools. The theme is “AscoltiAMO I suoni”. This edition is part of the activities of the “International Year of the Sound”.
Facebook page: INAD ITALIA
Facebook group: NOISE AWARENESS DAY ITALIA